Technology, movies, news, health and etc.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Barcelon Attack: 13 dead, over 50 hurt in city attack

On 17 August 2017, a van was driven into pedestrians on La Rambla in Barcelona, killing 14 and injuring at least 100. A woman was killed in a related attack in Cambrils and another in Alcanar.
Police said that two men had been arrested in connection with the La Rambla attack; another was reported as having been killed by police.
In Ripoll, a man was initially alleged to have rented the van, but he later told police his ID had been stolen by his brother.

An explosion occurred the night before the Barcelona attack in the Catalan town of Alcanar which leveled a building and killed a woman. Josep LluĂ­s Trapero, head of the Mossos d'Esquadra, the police force of Catalonia, said it was related to the La Rambla attack.

Around 5pm (1500 GMT), a vehicle slammed into a crowd of pedestrians on the famous Las Ramblas boulevard.

The promenade in the heart of the city centre is one of the city’s busiest streets, normally thronged with tourists and street performers until well into the night.

Witnesses described scenes of chaos and panic as they tried to flee.



Regional interior minister Joaquim Forn said 13 people had died and more than 50 were injured.

Nine hours after the Barcelona attack, police shot and killed five people in Cambrils who were believed to be planning an additional attack.

The Prime Minister of Spain, Mariano Rajoy, called the attack in Barcelona a jihadist attack. Amaq News Agency attributed indirect responsibility for the attack to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

The attacks were the deadliest in Spain since the March 2004 Madrid train bombings and the deadliest in Barcelona since the 1987 Hipercor bombing.





















No comments:

Post a Comment